From recruitment to retention, the process never stops.
Startups today have a mission to put their people first. Team culture and
engagement are front and center of every founders focus. Why? Team engagement is the key mission in creating a scalable and focused workforce. Engagement is the emotional glue a team member
has to their company and its strategic vision.
Engaged employees aren’t just working for that exit, instead they truly care about your startups mission. This means they’re willing to work the extra hours and it’s never just about the paycheck!
A highly committed team leads to increased productivity and employee health while enabling your company to attract and retain talent.
With Millennials redefining how we work, founders must innovate how they recruit, nurture, and retain their talent.
Step 1: Recruitment is key
As startups release new technologies in the employee recruitment space, it’s no longer about finding the candidates, but more about the workflow you design to both recruit an onboard an individual.
Investing in tool that help you automate hiring assists you in creating processes that are both delightful to use from a recruiting standpoint and engaging for even the future team member!
Here are some of the experiences we look for when investing in a Recruiting Platform.
- It must be a fun. So find a platform everyone loves to use!
- Automation is important. Templates, workflows etc. make your life easier.
- Data driven. Structuring feedback to allow the team to review candidates and takes the guesswork out of decision making.
Step 2: Intelligent benefits
New team members are looking for thoughtful benefit packages that make them feel taken care of. Robust benefits that appeal to a diverse audience are a great way to show that your company is investing in them long term.
As a startup you are expecting more from your employees and vice versa; employees expect more from you! Running a startup is a give and take relationship and expecting that 18 hour push to release your next feature without some sort of give back is a losing situation.
How to make sure you have a robust benefits package:
- Be transparent. Simple fees, adequate education and realistic expectations. Employees should know their benefits package.
- It’s not only about medical: 33% of next year’s high-risk population is low-risk today, which is why it’s critical to address the needs of the entire population, not just the sickest 5% as traditional care models do. Subsidize wellness spend and keep your people healthy! Provide a Bike Share program or champion team building events at a local fitness studio.
- Provide support. Insurers are notorious for having horrible customer service. A friendly, knowledgable voice can do a lot in reliving frustration.
Step 3. Employee recognition
A impactful recognition program not only shows top team members that their work is valued, but also supports positive growth rates. Implementing a program that takes into account employee interests and motivators should influence the design structure for your startup.
Keys to starting an awesome recognition program:
- Make it personal. Take in to account an individuals needs and motivations.
- It must be meaningful. Recognize achievements in real time and allow others to take joy in other team members success.
- Track and understand ROI. Provide a feedback loop that allows you to understand its success, but more importantly compare it to your internal engagement KPI’s.
Curios to see how LEON helps companies of all sizes scale wellness? Create a FREE account today!
The world is changing, and it’s your job to adapt and grow.
But, you are not alone in this. Technology allows us founders to grow in a way where both management and staff can have stellar experiences in all facets of recruiting and hiring process.
Bryan @ LEON